MIC clinic at UB Bulls Stadium

The Cadets put on their first formal clinic of the year

With no show that night, The Cadets rehearsed all day at the University of Buffalo in Buffalo, N.Y.

The convoy pulled up to the Buffalo Bulls’ stadium at 7:30 a.m., and there was no time (nor facilities) for any down time. The members had some time to rest, wake up and unload while the volunteers prepared waffles and bacon for breakfast at 9:30 a.m.


I loaded up the pickup truck with corps uniforms and headed off for another slimy day of uniform laundry, while the corps made their way into the stadium for the Day Meeting. Yesterday was the first official MIC (Music Is Cool) clinic of the summer, and between 150 and 200 high school arrived at 10:00 a.m. to experience a day of drum corps.

Patrick Duncan greeted the students and gave them an overview of the organization; then they made their way to the field to join in the Stretch and Run fun. Then the MIC students headed off with The Cadets’ music and guard staffs, respectively, for sectionals while The Cadets went into marching rehearsal as usual.

At 2:00, the corps ate lunch with the students; then the high schoolers headed off to a meeting with George Hopkins. (The Cadets continued with their usual rehearsal schedule in sectionals). The two groups convened again at around 5:45 for Show and Tell, in which each section got to perform for the others intermixed with The Cadets. The woodwind and brass players set up a mass arc with the hornline and played The Cadets’ exercises 1 and 4, followed by Mahler 2.


The guard did some exercises and a flag routine. Then the percussion sections each performed, followed by a combined front ensemble/drumline encore with some traditional “Ruzz Ga Duzz” — a longtime MIC favorite in which the staff selects soloists at random to step out and try a little improv.

The Cadets concluded the clinic with a mini ensemble of "Carol of the Bells" for the students.

After Show and Tell, The Cadets went right back to business as usual. Snack was followed by another hour of sectionals and a two-hour ensemble rehearsal from 8:00 to 10:00 p.m. (Meanwhile, we finally got back with the clean uniforms and hung them out to finish drying in the setting sun.)


Last night was perfect for a late ensemble; the air was just cool enough with a slight breeze, and the stadium lights gleamed on the pristine turf in the big, mostly-empty college stadium. Cadet corps are made on nights like that.

The day ended with another full run-through of the show, with several new changes that the corps had learned throughout the day. Then The Cadets ate some teriyaki chicken and broccoli, packed up and headed to Fort Edward NY. We got here at 6:00 this morning, and the corps is up at 8:30.



All active news articles